The Electoral Commission is set up under Article 60 of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda while Article 61 stipulates its functions. In an effort to perform its functions, the Commission is divided into three Directorates; namely Operations, Technical Support Services and; Finance and Administration. The Directorate of Finance and Administration is composed of three Departments namely; Administration, Finance and Human Resource Management.
The Overall Objective Of Administration Department
The overall objective of the Administration Department is to provide administrative support services for the efficient and effective implementation of Commission activities and programs. The Commission programs include major elections such as the Presidential, Parliamentary, Local Council, By-elections and repeat Elections and referenda.
The key outputs of the Administration Department include the following:
- Operation and maintenance of motor vehicles;
- Transmission and receipt of messages;
- Printing and production of generic requirements for the Commission;
- Timely acquisition of appropriate Commission supplies;
- Ensuring safety of lives and property;
- Provision of administrative support services (rent, accommodation, communication, water, electricity and telephones);
- Maintenance and upkeep of buildings.