The Electoral Commission appointed 3rd and 4th November 2015 as dates for the nomination of candidates for the 2016 Presidential Elections. There were forty eight (48) persons who picked Nomination Forms for Presidential Elections. Twelve (12) persons/parties returned the Forms to the Commission for verification. The nomination exercise which commenced yesterday Tuesday 3rd November 2015, has been concluded today, Wednesday, 4th November 2015, and the following have been successfully nominated as candidates
1. Yoweri Museveni Kaguta(National Resistance Movement)
2. Amama Mbabazi (Independent/Chair)
3. Baryamureeba Venansius(Independent/Clock)
4. Besigye Kizza Kifefe(Forum for Democratic Change)
5. Abed Bwanika (Peoples' Development Party)
6. Mabirizi Joseph (Independent/ball)
7. Maureen Faith Kyalya Waluube(Independent/Pot)
8. Biraaro Buta Benon(Farmers Party of Uganda)
One of the presidential aspirants, Mr. Bbaale Charles Lwanga (Ecological Party of Uganda) presented himself to the Electoral Commission but did not satisfy the requirements for nomination as a candidate for the Presidential Elections, 2016.
Another Presidential aspirant, Hajji Nasser Ntege Sebagala, who had picked nomination papers, complied with the provisions of Section 10(1)(b) and (3), of the Presidential Elections Act 2005 (as amended) on supporters for the nomination, and booked nomination date and time did not turn up for nomination as required by the law.
The Commission congratulates all those candidates who have been successfully nominated and wishes them the best as they go out to campaign and solicit for votes from the electorate.