In accordance with Section 33 (1) and (2) of the Electoral Commission Act (Cap 140), the Commission shall, by notice in the Gazette, appoint a Returning Officer for each electoral district who shall take steps to inform voters as early as possible of the particular polling stations at which they are required to vote and also that the circumstances should be such as to guarantee orderly voting without confusion.
The Electoral Commission is mandated under Article 61 of the 1995 Constitution of the Republic of Uganda to:
1. ensure that regular, free and fair elections and referenda are held;
2. organise, conduct and supervise elections and referenda in accordance with the Constitution;
3. demarcate constituencies in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution;
4. formulate and implement voter educational programmes related to elections;
5. compile, maintain, revise and update the voters’ register;