The Electoral Commission is mandated under Article 61 of the 1995 Constitution of the Republic of Uganda to:
1. ensure that regular, free and fair elections and referenda are held;
2. organise, conduct and supervise elections and referenda in accordance with the Constitution;
3. demarcate constituencies in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution;
4. formulate and implement voter educational programmes related to elections;
5. compile, maintain, revise and update the voters’ register;
6. hear and determine election complaints arising before and during polling; and
7. ascertain, publish and declare in writing under its seal the results of the elections and referenda.
The Commission shall be free from the direction or control of any authority in the performance of its functions under the Constitution (Art. 62). The Constitution also 2 | P a g e requires Parliament to ensure that adequate resources and facilities are provided to the Commission to enable it effectively discharge its mandate (Art. 66).