Registration of Village Residents for LC I & II and Women Councils Elections, 2017
In preparation for the Administrative Units (LC I & II) and Women Councils and Committees Elections, the Electoral Commission will compile a register of residents in each village throughout Uganda from Thursday 26th to Monday 30th October 2017.
The purpose of this registration exercise is to enable all willing village residents to register in order to participate in the above elections.
The registration will be conducted from 7:00am until 6:00pm on each of the appointed dates, including weekends.
All stakeholders are urged to note the following:
- Eligible and willing residents shall turn up in person at the registration centre within the village of residence to register;
- The registration exercise shall cover the compilation of two registers:
- The Village Council Register, for purposes of electing the Village (LC I) Chairperson and approval of members of the Village Executive Committee; and,
- The Village Women’s Council Register for purposes of electing the Village Women’s Committee.
- The village residents and village women residents shall be registered in separate register books provided by the Electoral Commission;
- The willing women residents will register in both registers and participate in both elections.
3. A person must fulfill the following requirements in order to be registered in the Village Residents Register:
- Must be a citizen of Uganda, who is ordinarily resident in the Village of registration;
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age and above at the time of registration;
- Must be willing to be a member of the Village Council;
- In the case of the Village Women’s Council Register, the person must be a female and a citizen of Uganda of eighteen (18) years and above, and must be ordinarily resident in the village of registration;
4. A person appearing for registration shall be required to provide the following particulars to the Village Election Official:
- National Identity Number or Application ID Number,
- Gender, and,
- Village of Residence
5. The registration exercise shall be free of charge.
The Commission has further appointed Monday 30th October 2017, as the cut-off date for registration of willing village residents.
The registration of residents in each village throughout Uganda will not be conducted after this date.
Hon. Justice Byabakama Mugenyi Simon
Chairperson, Electoral Commission