Voter Education and Training Department is one of the Departments of The Uganda Electoral Commission, and one of the Departments under the Directorate of OPERATIONS.
Its mission is "to formulate Civic Education Programs related to elections." It is derived from Article 61 (g) of the Constitution of the Republic of Uganda 1995
To create a citizenship with skills, competence and disposition for freely and purposefully participate in their governance. This is derived from Article 61 (g) of the 1995 Constitution of the Republic of Uganda.
The departmental goal is to increase awareness and motivation of all Ugandans who are five years and above for effective participation in elections.
1. To develop, design and disseminate voter education materials.
2. To formulate and implement voter education programs.
3. To formulate and implement training programs.
4. To create and sustain awareness of democratic process.
5. To manage, operate and run the department.
1. To develop training programs, manuals and materials.
2. To organize translation of voter education materials into local languages.
3. To set standards and guidelines for civic/voter education by civil society
4. Supervise and co-ordinate the activities of the accredited NGOs involved in civic education and election monitoring.
5. To sensitise the people on aspects of the Constitution, including their rights, freedoms and obligations, relevant to their effective participation in governance.
6. To educate voters on election procedures and processes.
7. To initiate and develop Civic Education Programs relating to elections.
8. Organize training workshops and study tours.
9. To monitor the progress of civic education and training.
Voter Education Materials
These include manuals, brochures, posters, fliers and guidelines. The materials produced are tailored to the relevant laws and guidelines relating to elections.